Saturday, July 10, 2010

Say what?

Have you ever seen a document, a statement or a question that has no coherent meaning at all?  Isn't it infuriating to read them because of their grammatical errors? They are common on the packaging of products that came from China. I do not blame those who have translated them because of their limited knowledge of the English language.

 Example: A warning message from an ointment: "Keep away from eyeballs".

 And believe me, that this is just one of them. You can search other humorous translations using the internet and I guarantee you that they will make you laugh. Why not check out this site: http://www.jnweb.com/funny/translation.html

 Now, what would you make of this question: "How will your filled film house the apparent clause?"

I've been racking my brains out trying to decipher this question. It seems that I will have to hire a cryptographer or perhaps employ the use of an Enigma machine for this one.

My theory is that, since the Chinese character is so complicated that a single character can have more than one meaning, the translators were confused as to what is the correct or direct translation of the character into English. But it could be worse, they could have been using a universal translation software and relying on what it gives to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment